Korea Cookies

It's my friend's birthday! Yippee! And since she's Korean-American and loooves Korea, what better way to say happy birthday than with Korea Cookies!

For these cookies, I used LilaLoa's chocolate sugar cookie recipe. It was really good. I made the dough in the morning when I woke up (7:30 ish) (I was going to make them last night but I may have forgotten...) and let it sit until 1ish in the fridge.
It was really good :)
The dough was soooo good! Once they were baked, they were just delicious! Straight out of the oven, they were pretty soft so I had to let them sit on the pan for a minute or two before I put them on the cooling rack (the fact that I'm not very good at waiting to take cookies off the baking sheet results in a few broken cookies each time I make cookies. bummer.) but once they had a chance to cool, they were hard. Not like rock hard, settled hard. They're soft cookies.
If you don't hold your horses on taking them off the sheet, you'll have to put them in the broken cookie bowl.
So now that you have your cookies baked, it's time to get decorating! You can use whatever royal icing you want, I used the Antonia74 recipe that everyone seems to be using. First, ice the cookies with royal icing (I used white). Normally, I would pipe the border then flood with the same tip. This time, however, I piped the border then just spread the inside icing with a spatula. It seemed to be fine like that so if you don't want to pipe or whatever, spreading is good too.
Once you've gotten the basement icing on, get some blue (or red, I just did blue first) icing and make a half circle. Then, make a wavy line going down, then up. It should look like this.

 And fill 'er up!

Then make those puppies smile!

They look so happy, don't they? And fill in the red side with red, going with the wave.
Now, flip them right-side up (the red is supposed to be on top) and add any details that you want!
My words look so gross! I promise I'm better than this!
Chocolate sugar cookie recipe (from LilaLoa):

1 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup cocoa
3 or 3 1/2 cups flour

1: Cream butter, shortening, and sugar together.

2: Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.

3: Add baking powder and salt and mix again.

4: Mix in cocoa until well blended.

5: Add flour 1 cup at a time. If you are making them right away, use 3 1/2 cups. If you are going to refrigerate them, use 3 cups (I used 3 cups).

6: Roll out on a lightly floured surface.

7: Bake at 375 F for 6 1/2 minutes.

More notes! I got 42 cookies out of this recipe. Also, the recipe says to use butter and shortening. LilaLoa says that you can use all butter if you want and that's what I was going to do but then it turned out that I only had 2 sticks. The cookies were delicious so when I make them again (I'm totally gonna make these again!) I'm still going to use shortening even if I have enough butter.

Also, I made these for my Korean friend's birthday, right. And LilaLoa lives in Korea! WOAHHHHH! It's like it was meant to be!




Comments

Popular Posts