Cake Cookies

These are cookies decorated like cakes, not cookies made out of cake. Although it would be fun to make whoppie pies! I should do that. But anyways, it was my friend's birthday!!! And since she loves baking and decorating cakes (and is much better than I am at it), I made cake cookies! They're really cute. I used the chocolate sugar cookies and the royal icing that I have posted on here so I won't talk about those or put up the recipes. But I will say one thing about them. They are both from the Korea cookies last week and they're still great. Remember how I was lamenting about having gallons of royal icing? Well, I'm almost done with the brown and the red! Exciting!

For these cookies, I did 3 variations in the decorating. One is a rectangle cake, one is a cupcake, and one is a circle cake. I have the directions for all three of them. So if all you want to see is the circle cake, bear with me. Or just scroll down to the bottom and risk missing my beautiful pictures and riveting instructions.

Rectangle Cakes:

First, get your bottom icing onto the cookie. Make a rectangle on the bottom half area like so.

 Then, make a slightly smaller rectangle on top of the first one.

Next, you could make a third, smaller rectangle, or you could do what I did, which is just add the candles. See? I think it looks nice with just two "layers".
Finally, you can add whatever details you want. I'll show you that a little later on...

Cupcakes:

First, make a cup-type-shape-thing. Do you know what I'm talking about? Just take a look, hopefully it'll make more sense than my babbling.
See? That clear it up for ya? I sure hope so.
Next, make a squigly line on top of the cup-thing. But not really squigly. More zig-zaggly.
Then, make the cupcake top! I made mine gigantic, but you should probably make yours normal looking. Funny thing is, when I make cupcakes, they usually turn out this size.
I have a hard time telling what 3/4 full actually is.
And now you can add your deets. Candles would be cute, but I didn't think of that, so... well, you'll just have to wait and see!

Circle Cakes:

First, make an oval shape on the bottom-half area of the cookie.
You may want to put them more in the center than I did, but this seemed to work out fine.
Then, put a bottom on the cake. Do that by making a straight line down, then a slight curved (following the line of the basement icing) line, then a straight line back up.
Finally, add your finishing touches! A note: I put candles on before I filled it in with a different color icing. If you don't want to fill it it, go ahead an add candles now. If you do want to put in a different color, please put that color down first then go back and put on the candles. How I had to do it was to go around the candles to get the color on. It worked fine, but it would have been much easier to put down the color, then the candles.


See how cute? I used the leftover pink/red icing. It worked out well!

I think this one is my favorite. Which is yours?


Comments

  1. So I just discovered this blog by accident, but I must say, you are pretty adorable. I loved your birthday cookie saga, and I plan to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts