Periodic Table Cookies

We had to do a chemistry project. So naturally, we decided to bake! And since we don't like our classmates, we decided to make delicious cinnamon rolls (another post, another time) for us and cookies for the class.

These cookies were pretty ugly. Since we were just giving them to our chemistry classmates, we really didn't care how cute they looked. And I got to teach my friend about royal icing (a little).

The dough for these was kinda weird. We used LilaLoa's vanilla cookie recipe and it was really good. But when we were making the dough, we had all the ingredients in the bowl and stuff, and all we needed to do was beat it together. But the final dough was really crumbly. It was like little pebbles. I didn't take a picture (unfortunately), but trust me, it was weird. Maybe because we weren't at my house and were using my friend's beater, and I hope that that's all it was. When I made the chocolate cookies, the dough seemed fine. That was a while back, though, so I can't be 100% sure. Whatever. It worked. We took a handful of the dough and formed it into a ball, and ended up with 4 softball-sized balls (I think).

With the frosting, we wanted to make elements. So we got up PTable.com and used it to base our cookies off of. I got food color markers from Michael's and yay! got to use them. But before the decorating, we had to put the bottom icing on. And like I said, we really didn't care. I had leftover icing from whenever I last made royal icing, so we used that. And we didn't thicken it beforehand, so it was pretty runny. And it ran off the sides of the cookies. You live and learn, right? And it being leftover icing and us not caring, we just used whatever colors that I had, which were white (good), green (ehh), dark blue (bad), and red-pink (didn't use). Oh, and brown, which we also didn't use.

So there we were, with poorly frosted crumbly cookies. It's a pretty sad picture, actually. But most of the icing was dry, so it was time for decorating. I used the green marker, and my partner in crime used the blue one. They turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself, which I do. So ha. Ha ha. Except for the places where the icing wasn't completely dry and we pressed too hard and poked holes in the royal icing. Us:1 Cookies:Alot. Boooo cookies!

So this was a good recipe, except for the crazy crumbly-ness. I can't explain that. Sorry.

Now for decorating! But first, how we cut them.


I couldn't find a square cookie cutter, so we used a knife.
Here are the cut out cookies.
Pre Bake
Here are the baked cookies.
Post Bake
Now for decorating (for real this time)!
First put on the bottom icing.
We really didn't care.
Once that's dry, decorate them!
I used the green marker! That's my handwriting! Woooah.
See the holes that we (accidentally) poked in them? Yeah, you're gonna want to make sure that the icing is completely dry before you start. Or, just don't write as hard as we did (I didn't think that I was being especially violent or anything).

Vanilla Sugar Cookies:

1 cup butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange or almond (we used almond) extract
3/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
4 or 4.5 cups flour

1: Cream together butter and sugar.

2: Add eggs, vanilla, and extract, and mix well.

3: Add baking powder and salt and mix again.

4: Add flour 1 cup at a time. If you are making these right away (we did), add all 4.5 cups of flour. If you are not making them right away (refrigerating or something), only add 4 cups.

5: Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 3/8 (I'm not sure if ours were this thick, but they were pretty thick) inch thick.

6: Bake at 375 F for 7 minutes.

I think we got 25ish, but if you roll them thinner and depending on what shape you make them, you could probably get at least 30.

Sorry I didn't take many pictures. Like I said, we were also making cinnamon rolls. Unfortunately, I didn't take many picture of those either. In fact, I only took one. But I guess that just means that I'll have to make them again some time. That shouldn't be a problem!

Comments

Popular Posts