Pink Polka Dot Sugar Cookies

These are some pretty special cookies. First of all, it's not just any old sugar cookie. It's two old sugar cookies! Or... maybe not. It's two kinds of sugar cookies! There ya go.
Chocolate and vanilla. Because I love my friends that much that I would make them two different kinds of sugar cookies!

Ya know, if I had to give one piece of advice, not just for decoraring or even baking in general, it would be put your stuff away after you use it. Seriously. Think that's lame advice? Well I think it's lame to have your sugar canister sitting on the table while you're putting cookies in the oven. Just my two cents. 


Anywho, these cookies are pretty rockstar. I'm pretty good if I do say do myself. And the whole thing is only four parts! Step 1: Cookies. Step 2: Flood. Step 3: Decorate with pink icing. Step 4: Decorated with white icing. Woop woop!

So step 1 is make the cookies, so make the cookies. I used LilaLoa's recipes for chocolate and vanilla sugar cookies. They're really good recipes. And I used them for the last birthdays too! I actually used half recipes for each of these since last time I got like 72 cookies from one recipe and didn't want 144 cookies in my house. Actually, that would be fun...
Pre Bake
Post Bake
Once those are cooked, cool them. Let them sit overnight if you can. In a container of course, but the extra time makes sure that the oil from the cookies doesn't leech up into the icing and make it spotty. Unless you were planning on making cheetah print cookies or something. Oh, that's a good idea! I should do that!
Pre Bake
Post Bake
Now flood them. With icing. Not water. Or acid rain.


For these, I did wet-on-wet polka dots.  That just means that instead of waiting for the icing to dry and then making dots, I piped the dots on to the wet icing and they melded.

Dry that. For a long time. I did like 4-6 hours since I'm impatient,  but it's probably best to just do it overnight.

Finally, decorate with the top frosting! 


Now, for the heart cookie, I didn't traditionally pipe the white frosting on top. No, instead, I used a cake stencil and spread the icing over it and then smoothed it and then lifted the stencil off and voila! B-e-a-utiful stencil cookies!



Recipes (from LilaLoa):

Chocolate Sugar Cookies (halved):
1/2 cup butter
 1/8 cup shortening
3/4 sup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups flour

Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix again. Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well in between. (This is for if you're making the dough to bake right away. If you're going to chill it, add 1/4 cup more flour.) Roll out onto a floured surface and bake at 375 F for 6 1/2 minutes.

Vanilla Sugar Cookies (halved)(adapted):
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour 

Cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, almond, and salt, and mix again. (The original calls for 3/4 (3/8 halved) teaspoon baking powder, but I left that out. If you're going to use it, add the salt and powder after you mix the egg and extracts.) Add the flour one cup at a time (if you're going to chill it, add 1/4 cup more flour). Roll out and bake at 375 for 7 minutes.

Royal Icing (adapted from Antonia74/Sweetopia):
3/4 cup warm water
5 tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk the water and meringue powder for about 30 seconds until frothy and thicker. Add cream of tartar and mix for 30 more seconds. Add the sugar about a 1/2 cup at a time, until you get to the thickness you want (I used about 1/2 of one bag and 1/3 of another I think). Mix for 5-10 minutes to make sure everything is mixed and thick. Add color if you want and **cover with a damp towel when not in use**(it prevents crusting). 
I promise I didn't try to make this scary face!
I've decided that I get my inspiration from plates now. I found a really pretty watercolor-esque flower plate, so maybe you'll see a watercolor flower cookie soon. Who knows?

Comments

Popular Posts