French Fries

I love french fries. Sometimes I call them franch fries. A lot of the time I call them franch fries actually. But I still dip them in ketchup, not franch. I mean, you could dip them in franch if you wanted to. I'm not your mother!


Want to know the secret to perfect homemade fries? Don't fry them. Obviously, you could fry them, but why would you want to after you see these!? Mine are a two part process. First, boil them. Then, broil them. Boil and broil! It's meant to be!

Well, first first, cut your potato. I used one potato for these since I was investigating and only making them for myself, but use how ever many you want. Cut them into french fry like shapes. Sorry I didn't take a picture at the beginning.


Then, boil. For five-ish minutes. Again, that was for one potato, but I don't think that that time would change very much for a larger amount. Just don't boil them so much that they turn to mush. We're making french fries here, not mashed potatoes. Oh yeah, salt your water a little too. And another oh yeah, put the water in the pot, then the potatoes, then put it on the stove. Bring it all up to temperature together.


Finally, broil! Do about 5 minutes per side. I actually did 4, then 5, then a final 3 minutes to brown them a little bit more, but depending on how crispy and brown you like them determines how long you cook them. But before they go in the oven, drain them from the boiling, then lay them on a sheet pan, then drizzle olive oil and salt (kosher is what I used, but I think that any would work) and toss gently. Gently being the key word here, since you did just kind of make mashed potatoes and you wouldn't want to actually mash them. That would be bad.
Pre Broil
Post Broil

Recipe:

Potatoes (Russet is what I used)
Olive oil
Salt

Cut potatoes into strips. Put them in cold(ish) water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
Drain and place on a sheet pan. Drizzle and toss with olive oil and salt. Broil for 5 to 10 minutes, increasing the time if you need to.

I think that's it! Fluffy on the inside, crisp on the outside. These were really really good, really fast too. You'll never need to buy frozen french fries again!

Comments

Popular Posts