Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies

I feel like I've been wanting to make these for months. Well, I finally got around to it! Or rather, I finally got caramel and espresso powder so that I could make them!


I really like them, but one thing I'm not too crazy about is how caramel-y the caramel is. I know, I know. Really, Elissa? Come on now.

But I wish it wasn't so hard when it cooled and hardened. Also, next time I might not put as much caramel around the cookies as I did this time. They like to stick together in the container and when I try to pull them apart, chunks sometimes come off.

But I guess tis to be expected when working with caramel. Alas alak.

Other than the caramel, I really don't have any quandaries with the recipe! When I took them out of the oven, the hole-part wasn't as deep as I wanted, but I just repressed them a little with the measuring spoon and they cooled with nice holes.

Next time, I might use a little more espresso powder, but a teaspoon is a good amount that gives a nice, little more than subtle flavor.

Recipe (adapted from heatherandcraig.com):

2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 package soft caramel


Beat butter, sugar, yolk, milk and vanilla. Stir together flour, cocoa, espresso powder and salt in a separate bowl and add to butter mixture. Beat/stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (an hour works a little better but I just put the dough in the fridge when a batch was baking and it worked). Roll into (I want to say about a tablespoon size, maybe a little less) balls, press center with a measuring spoon (I used the 1/2 teaspoon but whatever is proportional to the size of the dough). Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350.


Melt caramel on low heat in a pan with a splash of milk. Stir pretty constantly while melting. Add caramel to cookies (I put the melted caramel in a piping bag so it would be easier to add) and sprinkle with salt (I used kosher). You can also drizzle with melted chocolate or more caramel. 


I got about 30 cookies out of this recipe. Which would go great with coffee, by the way.
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt - See more at: http://heatherandcraig.com/2010/12/salted-caramel-chocolate-cookies/#sthash.vmHbWP0m.dpuf
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt - See more at: http://heatherandcraig.com/2010/12/salted-caramel-chocolate-cookies/#sthash.vmHbWP0m.dpuf

Comments

Popular Posts