Chocolate Pudding

This pudding was not planned. Usually I'm not very spontaneous, but when I bake ideas just come to me and I have to see them through.

I feel like pudding is something that seems like it would take a lot of effort and skill, but it was pretty easy for me so it would be pretty easy for you.

The one thing that I did not like about making pudding was the waiting. First, waiting for it to thicken. That only took 15 minutes, but 15 minutes of constant whisking is not what I would voluntarily do on a regular basis. But it really wasn't that bad.

The cooking portion of this pudding was pretty interesting, actually. I was whisking it and it was still liquid, all fine and dandy, then all of a sudden at 15 minutes it just transformed and became thicker, then I saw the first bubble. I wonder what the science behind that would be...

The hard part was waiting three whole hours for it to cool! And as you can tell, I might not have waited the three hours before tasting it. Maybe.

Pudding isn't the only thing I don't like waiting for, though. I also cannot stand waiting for jello to harden. That's also three or so hours, if I recall correctly, but I can't do it. I just can't. So I don't. I eat the jello after one hour in the fridge. But it's so good! It's just hard enough to not be liquid and it's so delicious.

I also like eating the jello powder as I'm waiting for the water to boil. All the citric acid and sugar will probably rot my teeth, but I love it.


Recipe (from Martha Stewart):

2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups milk
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder in a pot. Add milk in small increments and whisk to make a paste. Add the rest of the milk and the egg yolks and whisk together.
Heat on medium, whisking constantly, until you see a large bubble form and pop. Turn heat to low and whisk for one additional minute.
Pour pudding through a sieve and add butter and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and cool for at least three hours.
Whisk pudding before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts