Blueberry Muffins

Blueberries, blueberries, it's breakfast time in the city!

I could totally write a song. Or a rap. Or whatever. That was to the tune of Silver Bells, if you didn't catch that.

Well, I made muffins. I was planning on making these for about a week, but I never got around to it, until last week when I did! Then it took me a week to blog about them. Funny how those things work, isn't it? Preposterously precariously peculiar.

I used the Martha recipe for these. My main reason for using that one rather than Joy of Baking or something was that the Martha one was one of the only recipes that I found that didn't have yogurt or sour cream or something similar in it. It's not that I don't like those, which to be honest are not my favorite things, but it's just that I didn't have them on hand and the less trips to the store, the better. Especially when you can get a perfectly good recipe that doesn't call for it!

To start, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Then add the egg, yolks, and vanilla and mix.

Then, alternate adding the flour, then milk, then flour, milk, and finally flour.

Finally, mix in the blueberries! You'll want to do this by hand, but you can use the mixer for everything else.

Make sure you really grease your pans well, since these will get stuck in the muffin cups.

Sprinkle the tops with sugar (it makes a really nice crust on top) and bake!
Pre Bake
Post Bake
Martha said that you would get 6 large or 12 small muffins but, uhh, I got probably about 30 regular muffins and 12 mini muffins.

Recipe (originally from Martha Stewart):

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
1 3/4 cups blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin tins.
Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy (3ish minutes) in a large bowl. Add egg, yolks, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
Add flour and milk, alternating, starting and ending with flour. Gently fold in berries by hand.
Put batter in the tins, and generously sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until light golden, about 45 minutes for large muffins and about 30 for small muffins.

Comments

Popular Posts