Chocolate Meringue Cookies

Happy quarantine everybody! I'm comin' at ya live from the inside of my house. A house where I made chocolate meringue cookies!


The recipes is from Valentina's Corner and it's super easy and yummy! I dropped the meringue from a tablespoon onto my baking sheet and I really like the texture that they have -- crisp and light on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. Valentina's recipe calls for chocolate chips but I didn't have any so hey I left them out but they were still DELISH, honestly I probably would have left them out even if I did have chips because I would predict that the chocolate may get a little burnt tasting and not be melty once they cool. Personally, what's the point of having chocolate chips if they aren't melty? Like I enjoy a nice chocolate chip cookie when it's warm and ~melty~, but once it's set and you've had them on your counter for 3 days, what's the point. You can tell that this quarantine has given me a lot of time to think.


Recipe (adapted from Valentina's Corner):

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp cocoa

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tarter at high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
3. Add in vanilla and sugar and beat again until stiff peaks and glossy, about 3 minutes.
4. Fold in cocoa using a spatula.
5. Use a tablespoon to drop mounds on to the lined cookie sheet.
6. Bake 35-45 minutes or until dry.


I vaguely remember from when I made meringues years ago about turning the oven off and letting the meringues cool in the closed oven. I wasn't sure if that was for meringues or macarons and they looked really good and released from the parchment paper cleanly so I took them out of the oven once they were done, but if anyone knows or cares to link an article about that, let me know. Honestly I could search through these archives and I've done a pretty good job of cataloging these posts with tags so it wouldn't even take that long, but hey. It's quarantine baby.

Comments

Popular Posts