Mint Brownies

 Can I tell you a secret?

I'm not a big fan of brownies.

Can you believe that? I feel like brownies are one of the most popular dessert foods around but I find that more times than not, they're just not satisfying. These brownies, however. These brownies are really good.

I used the recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction. I would have used my mother's recipe but she never gave it to me. She said that it's basically the same as this one though so don't worry guys.


I think that the brownie in this recipe is a fudgy brownie. To be honest I have looked up what is the difference between fudgy and cakey brownies one too many times and I still don't know. If I had to label it though I would call this one fudgy and I enjoyed it more than I usually do for brownies so do with that information what you will.

You have three steps to go for these. First you make the brownie which is a pretty simple and typical brownie recipe. Something that I do really appreciate about brownies is that you can mix all the ingredients in one pot. This recipe did make a whole 9x13 pan so you may want to halve it if you don't want that many.

Then, mix your frosting. It's a pretty standard mint buttercream but again, it may have been the extra whipping that I did but I enjoyed this frosting more than I usually enjoy buttercream. Wait for the brownies to cool and then smooth on a nice layer.

Final step is to make the chocolate ganache. I think I burnt mine a little but all you have to do is melt butter and chocolate chips together until they're all melted and combined then cool a little. Once it has cooled and the frosting has cooled and set on the brownies, pour the ganache on top and set it all in the refrigerator. I waited until the next morning to cut into them and then just stored them in the fridge.

Overall, would recommend this recipe and would make it again.


Recipe (from Sally's Baking Addiction)

Brownie:

1 cup unsalted butter

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

4 large eggs, at room temperature

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup + 3 tbsp all-purpose flour

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder


Mint Frosting:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

2 cups confectioner's sugar

2 tbsp milk

1 1/4 tsp peppermint extract

Optional: 1 drop green food coloring


Chocolate Ganache:

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


1. For brownies: Melt butter and chocolate chips in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly for about 10 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease then line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

3. Stir granulated and brown sugars into chocolate/butter mixture. Add eggs one at a time, stirring after each. Stir in vanilla. Gently fold in salt, flour, and cocoa powder. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with few crumbs.

4. Cool brownies in pan until able to lift out. Continue cooling completely on a wire rack, lifting out of pan using overhanging sides of parchment paper. 

5. For mint frosting: In a medium bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioner's sugar and milk. Beat on low for 2 minutes, then increase to high speed for 1 minute. Add peppermint extract and food coloring (if using) and beat on high for 1 minute. Taste and add 1-2 more drops of peppermint extract if needed.

6. Frost the cooled brownies and place frosted brownies in refrigerator on baking sheet or wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for frosting to set.

7. For chocolate ganache: Melt butter and chocolate chips in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

8. Gently pour over frosted brownies and smooth with a knife or offset spatula. Place brownies back in refrigerator for at least 1 hour (up to overnight) to set the chocolate.

9. Once chilled and set, remove from refrigerator and cut into squares. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts