The Meringue Saga: Part 1

Happy Passover! Next week. But what better way to celebrate the upcoming holiday than by baking! Not cupcakes or brownies, though, because those are absolutely, no way, not at all kosher for passover. Unless of course you make flourless cupcakes or brownies. But that's beside the point.

Pre Bake

I made meringues! I love love love meringues. They're light and airy and supposedly fat free and sooo delicious! And mine are pink! I colored them with red food coloring then striped the piping bag with pink gel color. I used WIlton tip 21 (star) in my attempt at making rosettes.

Pretty!
 I've tried many meringue recipes and this one is from Mel's Sweet Treats. When I tasted the meringue uncooked, I could still tell the sugar apart from the rest, so maybe next time I'll heat it a bit in a double boiler (glass bowl over pot with some water in it) to try to get the sugar dissolved some more than it would be otherwise. Once they were baked, however, I couldn't taste the sugar granules. The recipe say that the egg whites should be at room temperature but I didn't do that and it seemed to be fine. I got ~150 meringues out of this recipe (which said 60) but mine were small.
Post Bake

Recipe

4 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1: Add salt to egg whites and beat until soft peaks. Add the sugar until incorporated.  (I would probably double-boil it before mixing (add salt and sugar to egg whites, then heat, then beat)).

2: Add vanilla (or whatever you like) and beat some more until stiff peaks.

3: Add food coloring if you want (PINK!!).

4: Get it onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet however you like (I piped with Wilton tip 21 but you could use 1M or just spoon it on, whatever floats your boat).

5: Preheat your oven to 225 degrees and bake about 1 hour (You'll want the outside dry but the inside still chewy (I guess there's not really any way of knowing if the inside is chewy until you eat one...)). Once they're done baking, turn off the heat and leave the oven door open for 5-10ish minutes while they're still in the oven. Then, remove the meringues from the oven and let them cool.

6: Store in an air tight container.

Comments

Popular Posts