Flatbread

Bread!

Bread with no yeast!

Well, kind of aww shucks since I like using yeast. But it's okay. I'll get over it. I know you were concerned. Y'all are nice like that.

This was good and pretty easy to make actually. If of course you can stand waiting 8 to 12 hours to have it rest. But I went to sleep so I didn't notice. 

I like this recipe, except for the fact that you need a cast iron pan to cook them in and I do not have a cast iron pan. So being my resourceful self, I just used a regular pan. And it might not have been the best decision I've made in all my years. I mean, not the worst, but not the best. You see, to cook the flatbreads, you just put them in a hot pan for a minute then flip and cook the other side for about 30 seconds. But you just rolled them out in flour. And there's no liquid or anything to keep them from sticking to the pan.

The flatbreads themselves didn't stick, which was good. But unfortunately the excess flour did and as the time to cook 12 flatbreads went on, it got more stuck and more flour and more stuck and just a bad cycle. So in the end there was a lot of black burnt flour on the pan. Which was more than a little hard to get off. But hopefully as I use the pan more then more of the stuff will come off and it'll be shiny new again.

This recipe is from The Washington Post, so I was assuming it would be good and accessible, which it was. The title of it is Basic Flatbread, but I kind of stylized it to be #basic #flatbread. Ya know, just because.

I think (and the WaPo thinks) that whole wheat flour would be best to use if you have it, since I'm pretty sure the texture is courser than all purpose. Actually, I don't know anything about that and I just made it up but the recipe says use whole wheat so I would and I did. Well, I did half whole wheat and half all purpose since I only had 1.5 cups of whole wheat. And it turned out fine so no biggie.


Recipe (from The Washington Post):

3 cups whole wheat flour
Scant 1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Combine flour, water, oil and salt in a bowl and mix until they come together. Let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature (so the water can be absorbed).
Flour a work surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes so the dough is smooth and elastic. I had to keep re-flouring the mat since the dough was pretty sticky. Form into a ball and place into an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 8-12 hours (overnight would make the most sense).
Take dough out of the bowl and put it on a floured mat again. Cut into two logs, then cut those logs into six pieces each. Hopefully they're the same approximate size. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. 
Liberally flour a mat and roll out each dough ball to as thin as you can. They should come to about 8ish inches in diameter and be round, but it's okay if they're not. Just make them thin.
Gently place a disk of dough into the now-hot pan. Cook for 1 minute, turn over and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Place cooked flatbreads under a towel to keep them warm and from drying out.

This recipe makes 12 flatbreads, but on the WaPo website you can change it to have the ingredients be for 6, 12, 24 or 36 flatbreads. That's pretty cool.

Comments

Popular Posts