Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookies

Surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly, I've not made chocolate chip cookies on here.

Good old, plain old, old chocolate chippers.

Aye matey!

Disregard that. I have no clue.

I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies after reading this lovely webpage/blog post/piece of writing. It really inspired me. It touched my heart. *Picture a single tear streaming down my cheek. Like in this commercial! But happy. Not sad because America's full of pollution.

What I took away from the article was that I should whip my butter and chill my dough. So I did that. And to do a little experiment of my own, although it's more of an observational study than an experiment, I chilled half the dough for approximately 3 hours and half the dough for approximately 24 hours. And, bah-duh-duh-daaaa (that's a drumroll), I found no significant difference! Yay Elissa!

Yeah, I was kind of surprised, since I heard/read that chilling for longer periods of time would make the dough not spread as much. But thinking back on it, most doughs that make you chill them do about 3ish. That's what I remember at least, from my little research on chocolate chip cookies.

I wanted to make the New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies, but then I read the recipe and it was talking about bread flour and chocolate disks and Jacques Torres and 24 hours and I decided it was a little much for me. 

But I still wanted to chop the chocolate chips to less chip-like pieces like in the NYT recipe, but I forgot to do that so it didn't exactly happen. I think it still turned out fine.

What I thought was really fun was when you take them out of the oven and they're puffy then they cool and become flat. But for a few minutes they're puffy! That reminded me of the M&M Cookies I made back in August. And looking back at that recipe, these do look strikingly similar. Those have whipped butter and are refrigerated and were really really good, so maybe we're on to something, Watson.
Pre Bake
Post Bake
Recipe (adapted from Ghirardelli bag):

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups (or a bag) chocolate chips

Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In a different bowl, whip butter and sugars until light (about 5 minutes). Add in vanilla and eggs and beat again. Mix in flour and friends until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate 3-24 hours (longer is better). Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.

I got 60+ cookies out of this recipe, so be forewarned if you don't want that much.

Everyone was super excited when I gave these to them, since it was just out of the blue niceness on my part. Yeah, I'm cool like that. But anyway, they were really happy to get them, then really really happy when they ate them since they're so good! One person even squealed with delight!

Comments

Popular Posts