Palmiers

Palmiers? How posh! How exotic! How... easy!


I didn't come up with the idea to make these on my own. My friend, the same one from the furlough pie, gave me some of the palmiers they had, and they were so good! I just had to make them myself!

Palmiers, sometimes called elephant ears, are a french cookie made from puff pastry. In fact, the only ingredients used are puff pastry and sugar! Of course, you can add different variations like cinnamon or nutella to give them a different flair!


I'm not exactly sure why they're called elephant ears since they look like hearts, but they would be super adorable for valentines day!

I made a cinnamon-sugar variation from this Ina Garten recipe. The video from it is really helpful in terms of seeing how to roll and shape the dough.

I don't know if unbaked puff pastry is alright to eat, but puff pastry in cinnamon sugar is really delicious!
 
Pre Bake
Post Bake

Recipe (from Ina Garten): 

2 sheets puff pastry
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Thaw puff pastry in the refrigerator for a few hours or on the counter for about 30 minutes. Mix together sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Unfold one sheet and place it on a mat or counter sprinkled with the sugar. Sprinkle about half of the sugar mixture on top of the dough and use a rolling pin to push the sugar into the dough and roll it out to about a 12 inch square. Take the sides and fold 1/4 of the way to the middle. Fold the folds in to the middle again and they should be touching. Fold one half over the other. Use a serrated knife to gently cut the dough into strips. Place the dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 450 for 6 minutes. Turn the cookies over and bake for 3-5 more minutes. Repeat with the other sheet of puff pastry.


I got about 30 cookies but the amount would depend on how thin you roll the dough and how thick you cut it.

Comments

Popular Posts