Cinnamon Brown Sugar Bread

I was going to make this in the morning so I could have it as a brunch-y type thing, but then I discovered that I didn't have flour. Or cinnamon. And I couldn't get to the store to buy that flour or especially cinnamon that mind you I have been out of for months. Don't you love impromptu baking?

So once I got all my ingredients, I made this bread! It's not my favorite that I've made ever, but it's not bad. It is very nutmeg-y, though, so consider yourself warned. Nutmeg is not my favorite, and it seems a little weird that the only cinnamon in this bread would be on top. Should have changed that! If I make this again, the cinnamon will most likely take the place of the nutmeg.

This is a pretty versatile bread, as you could add nuts or raisins as I did. I like golden raisins, so I used them. The reason was totally not because they were the only kind that I had. Where would you get such an idea?

I got the recipe from Averie Cooks and as a disclaimer, mine does not look anything like hers. Well, they're both bread. But that's pretty much the end of the similarities. Mine is darker, perhaps due to the dark brown sugar I used. Mine also has a pretty big crumb, and by the look of hers, it shouldn't. And my ribbon. Yeah. That didn't really work out too well. And my sugar crust, too. It's like a pile of cinnamon sugar on top of the bread. Not to complain about piles of cinnamon sugar, though!

Ok. Stir your butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and oil. Add buttermilk. Oh yeah, I didn't have buttermilk either. I'm just a mess. But I used her advice and added some lemon juice to milk and let it situate for a bit. I'm not sure if it did anything, though.

Mix your drys: flour, nutmeg (cinnamon?), baking soda, salt. Add dry to wet and stir but not viciously. Just enough. Now would be the time to put in any additions (nuts, raisins, etc).

Pour about half of your batter into your pan. STOP! Sprinkle on cinnamon sugar. A LOT. Well, not all of it, but about half. STOP! Pour the rest of your batter. STOP! Sprinkle the rest on. STOP! Bake it. Yeahhhhhh.
Pre Bake
Post Bake
You could also put oats in. I thought of doing it but whateves.

You'll also want to bake it for longer that I did. I baked for 45 minutes, and when I checked it, I thought that it was done. But alas, the middle wasn't. Only the middle of the middle of the loaf, but still. It's disheartening. I used a glass pan so that could have something to do with it, but I don't know.

Recipe (from Averie Cooks):

1/3 cup granulated sugar 
1 tablespoon cinnamon 
1/4 cup melted butter
1 large egg 
1 cup [light] brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
1 cup buttermilk 
2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
1/3 cup walnuts (optional)

Combine white sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside.
Combine butter, egg, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla. Whisk in buttermilk. 
Add flour, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt and stir to combine. Don't stir it smooth. Add add-ins.
Pour half the batter into a buttered-and-floured 9x5 loaf pan. Add half to 3/4 of the cinnamon sugar. Pour on the rest of the batter and the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top. 
Bake for 45-55 minutes at 350. 

Comments

Popular Posts