Parker House Rolls

I did it!!! I used yeast!!

Let's just revel in that wonderful fact for a little bit. And the fact that this dough smells absolutely wonderful! I love using yeast!

I couldn't decide whether to make Pioneer Woman's dinner rolls or her Parker House rolls. They're the same recipe, except you have to knead the PH ones then let them rise again for a bit. Which I didn't mind. So I made the Parker House rolls.

The dough is like when you go to Bertucci's as a kid and they give you the dough to play with. It's great! It smells so good. So good! I want my house to smell like this all the time. I bet that's what heaven smells like.

A word to the wise: Even if you're going to make just normal, no need to knead dinner rolls, knead them. For like 10 seconds. It make's a HUGE difference! At least in my (one) time making these, the dough after you add the cup of flour and baking powder and soda and salt is really sticky and kind of limp. After you knead it for even just a little tiny bit, it comes together in a ball and not really thickens, but just works a whole lot better.

Do use as much flour as you need when kneading this dough. I kept sprinkling flour on the surface, the dough, and my hands whenever it got sticky. I think that that extra flour also helps to pull it together some.

To begin, heat milk, oil, and sugar until it's almost boiling. I used this a another chance to use my nifty candy thermometer! I got the temperature up to 190 when I turned it off. It kept rising (up to 195), then I...

Added in the yeast and flour when the temperature was at 105. Stir that and cover it for an hour. Let it become wonderful and amazing smelling.

After the hour, it should have pretty much doubled. Add one more cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir it around. When I stirred mine, it deflated so don't worry. I think this is the part when you punch it in some recipes. Fun!

So after you have the last ingredients, knead (or don't but I strongly suggest do) it. Let it rise for at least 30 more minutes after it's kneaded. Then form balls with slits and slap some butter on top and bake! To be true Parker House rolls they have to have the slit or a dent or something, but the roll police won't arrest you if you don't make a slit.

These rolls make me so happy. Usually I don't get really excited about what I bake, like singing and dancing excited. Except for these rolls. Once I put the dough in bowls to rise after I kneaded it, I waited 30 minutes and came back to see that they had risen. Well, yes ma'am and sir they did rise! The dough filled the bowl and was so pretty and smooth that I actually started singing "You are so pretty! I love you so much! You are so beautiful!!!" Like, that's happy, let me tell you. 


After an hour

Next time I'll make a half batch, since I got 91 rolls out of this! Or, I could take Pioneer Woman's advice and make cinnamon rolls with half of the dough! I like that option.


Pre Bake
Post Bake
Recipe (from Pioneer Woman):

4 cups milk
2 sticks butter
1 cup Sugar 
4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast 
9 cups flour (separated into 8 cups and 1 cup)
1 teaspoon (heaping) baking powder 
1 teaspoon (scant) baking soda 
1 Tablespoon (heaping) salt
Additional butter for brushing

Combine milk, butter, and sugar in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, and when the mixture is hot (but not boiling) turn off heat and allow to cool to warmer than lukewarm but not hot (it should take about 30 to an hour).
Sprinkle in the yeast and 8 cups of flour. Stir to combine, then cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.
Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and the last cup of flour. Stir to combine. Divide dough in half (it just makes it easier to work with, you don't have to), then turn out onto floured surface. Knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes, then form into a ball and cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 to 45 minutes. (You can repeat with the other half of dough, or just store it in the freezer for another time.)
Roll out dough into about 1/2 inch disks and dunk in butter, then fold in half, or roll into balls and brush with butter (what I did). Cover with a towel and allow rolls to rise 30 to 45 minutes.
Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. 

If you do decide to be crazy and make all of them at once like I did, just know that these freeze beautifully. I keep one container in the fridge and the rest in the freezer then either microwave or broil them for a little bit then spread with butter and honey. Yeah, they're good!


Comments

Popular Posts